August 31, 2010 - "Minerve"
This beautiful village is off the main tourist path in the Languedoc-Roussillon Region in southern France.
Luckily we had a GPS and were able to find it after navigating some narrow one lane only roads.
"Minerve - In 1210 a group of Cathars sought refuge in the village after the massacre of Béziers during the Albigensian Crusade. The village was besieged by Simon de Montfort, 5th Earl of Leicester. The attacking army besieged the village for six weeks before it capitulated. They set up four catapults around the fortification: three to attack the village, and the largest, Malevoisine, to attack the town's water supply. Eventually the commander of the 200-strong garrison, Viscount Guilhem of Minerve, gave in and negotiated a surrender which saved the villagers and himself after the destruction of the town's main well. However, 140 Cathars refused to give up their faith and were burned to death at the stake on 22 July. ..............
Of all of the original fortifications, only a slender octagonal tower, known locally as the Candela, survives."
August 30, 2010