"Tabasco Factory Store - Avery Island"
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Avery Island is known as the home of Tabasco brand pepper sauce, which has been manufactured on the Island by McIlhenny Company since 1868. Some of the peppers used in Tabasco sauce production are grown on the Island, and those grown elsewhere derive from seed stock created on the Island. Salt used in Tabasco sauce production is mined on the Island.
Some members of the McIlhenny family still reside on the Island with their Avery cousins, and many McIlhenny Company employees also live there in worker cottages, with one or both wage earners working in the fields, the factory, or the company's business office. It is not unusual for employees' families to have worked for the company for several generations