This restored miners boarding house is located along a trail through the historic Iowa Hill Hydraulic Placer Mine in Breckenridge, Colorado. Mining History News rates this trail as “one of the best hydraulic mining exhibits in the world”.
Wrapping around Tillamook Head, between Seaside and Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park stretches along 9 miles of coastline and offers outstanding sightseeing and recreation opportunities combined with a storied past. Captain William Clark and 12 members of the Corps of Discovery traveled through what is now the park in 1806 in search of a beached whale near present-day Cannon Beach.
Work on the Yaquina Bay Bridge at Newport, Oregon began on August 1, 1934. The bridge opened on September 6, 1936. The Yaquina Bay Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 5, 2005.
Located at the end of Cape Arago Highway about 15 miles southwest of Coos Bay, Cape Arago is a scenic headland jutting into the Oregon Pacific Ocean. Cape Arago was first sighted by Europeans during one of Sir Francis Drake's expeditions in the late 1500s.
Originally named Bandon Light, Coquille River Light was commissioned in 1895. First lit on February 29, 1896, the light guided mariners past the dangerous shifting sandbars into the Coquille River and harbor at Bandon.
This quiet spot can be found in the vineyards of Oregon. Dundee Hills is a sub-appellation within the Willamette Valley located 28 miles southwest of Portland and 40 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean. Rising above the low, flat floors of the surrounding Willamette and Chehalem Valleys, the Dundee Hills offer spectacular views, including Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson's majestic snowy peaks.
The sunset obscured by a fog bank did not provide much color in this beach shot of Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach, Oregon. However, the sandcastle provides some detail as the sun sets with the silhouette of the famous lava rock in the background.
The Yaquina Head Light, also known early in its existence as the Cape Foulweather Lighthouse, is a lighthouse on the Oregon Coast of the United States. The tower stands 93 feet (28 m) tall, and is the tallest lighthouse in Oregon. The lighthouse was built from 1871 to 1873 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
The Peter Iredale was a four-masted steel barque sailing vessel that ran ashore October 25, 1906, on the Oregon coast en route to the Columbia River. It was abandoned on Clatsop Spit near Fort Stevens in Warrenton about four miles (6 km) south of the Columbia River channel. Wreckage is still visible, making it a popular tourist attraction as one of the most accessible shipwrecks of the Graveyard of the Pacific.
Vista House is an observatory at Crown Point in Multnomah County, Oregon, that also serves as a memorial to Oregon pioneers and as a comfort station for travelers on the Historic Columbia River Highway. The Crown Point Vista House was completed in 1918.
Bandelier National Monument is a 33,677-acre United States National Monument in New Mexico preserving the homes and territory of the Ancestral Pueblo People. Most of the pueblo structures date to two eras, in total from 1150 to 1600 CE.